Grenades flew and barns burned

The invasion of U.S. Troops into the district town of hochstadt on 14. April 1945 did not take place without the defensive activities of the volkssturm and reichsarbeitsdienst. Armored barriers had been set up at many entrances to the old town. Furthermore there were booby traps.

"My mother, the father was in the war, dug a rough hole in the ground for the three children and herself to hide", so as not to become embroiled in military conflicts, according to contemporary witness margot grau.

The aisch bridge was also to be blown up. District fisheries officer konrad bockl had to help prepare the blast. By snapping off most of the tinder he was able to prevent the effect from becoming too coarse. He later used it to save the historic bridge from collapse. His courageous efforts are commemorated with a memorial plaque at the bridge entrance due to an initiative of the former director of the home museum, sebastian schmidt. In a serious case, bockl would have had to reckon with deportation for undermining military morale.

Due to the many aerial photographs taken by the allies of hochstadt during the search for antiaircraft guns (flak) during the bombing of nurnberg, the U.S. Troops had an excellent overview of the country and the city. Since apparently no hochstadter with female flag came to meet them – only a female flag hung, attached by the servant josef, at the inn gray – the bombardment of the city began.

The northern part of the church tower of st. Georg was shot away, barns started to burn in steinwegstrabe.

Alois schell, at that time a soldier in the german armed forces, helped with the unloading. Originally he was a member of an infantry unit near prague. When in 1944 a messenger, courier was wanted with the destination schweinfurt, he volunteered, because he knew the city from his activity as an honorary hochstadter firefighter. Via railroad, interrupted by low-flying air raids, he came via eger and nurnberg to forchheim. There he learned that the US troops had already occupied schweinfurt, which was important for the war effort.

Instead of returning to prague, he took the opportunity to travel to his hometown, hidden in a train by a railwayman friend. There he was assigned to the volkssturm. The commandant’s office was in today’s town hall. After the end of the looting, the first US tank was already at the entrance of the main road. A US soldier, still in uniform, made it clear to him that he should leave immediately. He fled to the house of the koberlein family. The french forced laborer raul then informed the parents in the brauhausgasse about the remaining of their son.

Another witness, who does not wish to be named, recounts the explosion of a hand grenade outside her home. A splinter smashed through the window pane and "landed" in a picture of mary on the wall.

No further fighting took place in hochstadt. As irmgard gebele reported, a shelter was set up in the living room of the first storey of her house in the bruckenstrabe, since a counterattack by german troops across the aischbrucke could be easily repelled from there. Because irmgard gebele, who had previously been deployed as a telephone operator in forchheim and had survived repeated low-level air raids on her way from her workplace to hochstadt, knew english well due to her school education, she was deployed as an interpreter by the u.S. Troops.

In the further course of the american advance toward erlangen and nurnberg, fighting broke out near sterpersdorf, resulting in the deaths of several german soldiers.